African black soap has been a health and beauty staple in West Africa for hundreds of years.
Traditionally made from native plant ingredients including plantain skin ash, cocoa pods, coconut oil, palm oil, shea butter, and cocoa butter, it makes an all natural alternative to the common bath soap.
It’s good for all skin types and has a range of benefits from anti-aging protection, to an ability to help clear up skin conditions like acne and eczema.
We’ve taken a look at the top rated products available on the market to find the best African soap for acne and skin care.
These are the top choices, including raw blocks, pre-cut bars, and the liquid form:
- Sky Organics Organic African Black Soap
- Dudu Osun African Black Soap Bars
- Wonderfully Natural Organic African Black Soap
- Sky Organics Authentic Liquid Black Soap From Ghana
*All links lead to Amazon
- 1 Buying Guide: Things To Look For
- 2 The Top Soaps Reviewed
- 3 Conclusion
Buying Guide: Things To Look For
There are a number of things to look out for when selecting a top quality African black soap:
Does it only contain natural ingredients?
One of the great things about this type of soap is that it’s made from natural ingredients without chemical additives.
So always check the ingredients list before purchasing a new brand to make sure it doesn’t have any unwanted additives.
What is the color?
African black soap can vary in color between mottled brown to mottled black.
It’s never completely black unless artificial dyes have been added.
Where does the soap come from?
Traditionally, it’s made in West Africa and many people prefer to buy authentic soap that comes from there.
But these days, you can also get black soap that’s produced in the USA.
I prefer the authentic soap. But it depends on your preference.
How much does it cost?
Due to transportation costs shipping it from Africa, and the natural ingredients that are used in the making of the handmade soap, it can be more expensive than normal bath soap.
If the soap you are considering getting is very cheap then it might not be the real thing.
What type of black soap is best for you?
Personally, I like using black soap in its traditional raw block form.
But, it’s worth knowing that you can also get it in other forms. It’s available in pre-cut bars and as a liquid.
Some people find these to be a little bit more convenient.
You see, you have to be careful when using the large raw blocks. They contain lots of rough material. And if you scrub too hard directly on your skin it can hurt.
But, the soap is crumbly and breaks into pieces easily. So, it’s often best to take a piece of the block and work up a lather in their hand before applying it to their skin.
A pre-cut bar fits easily in your hand and is a slightly more manageable way to use it.
The liquid soap is quicker and easier to use again. It can be used like a shower gel on your skin, hair, and scalp.
The choice is yours.
The Top Soaps Reviewed
These are our favorite African black soap brands. I’ve included raw black soaps that come in a block, soap that is cut into bars, and the best liquid black soap for those who prefer that.
Sky Organics Organic African Black Soap
It’s made in the traditional way in Ghana and is 100% pure, natural, and organic.
Which means it doesn’t contain any chemical additives or fragrances.
It’s also good to know that it’s animal cruelty-free that’s suitable for use by vegans.
And it’s a fair trade product.
This is a high-quality black soap that’s soft in the hands and easily cut into smaller bars if you prefer.
It’s slightly crumbly, but if bits crumble off it’s easy to work them back into the block.
People report the following pros and cons of using this brand:
- It’s an effective cleanser
- Good makeup remover
- Clears up skin conditions like acne, psoriasis, and rosacea
- Helps itchy and flaky scalps
- Good for combination, oily skin, and dry skin
- Leaves skin feeling soft and smooth
- It has an earthy cocoa and coconut smell that most people find pleasant
- The raw matter it contains can scratch the skin if you rub too vigorously with it
Dudu Osun African Black Soap Bars
This product by Tropical Naturals comes in a pack of 12 pre-formed soap bars.
Dudu-Osun is a very well known and popular brand that comes from Nigeria.
The soap contains natural ingredients that also include camwood, honey, lemon juice, and lime juice.
There are no artificial colors, fragrances, or dyes added to this product
It has a strong smell that most people describe as being nice. But some find it overpowering.
- It has a slightly grainy texture but is easier to use on the skin than the blocks as it is not as rough
- Good for clearing up acne and blemishes on the skin
- The skin is left soft and clean after use
- Helps people with eczema and sensitive skin
- Good for oily skin
- The soap bar lathers very well
- Lasts a long time
- Convenient to use
- Sometimes leaves a residue on the skin
- It can stain your shower so you need to clean up often
Wonderfully Natural Organic African Black Soap
It’s completely natural and made by hand in the traditional way by women in Ghanaian communities. And it’s also a fair trade product.
It has a good reputation for cleaning oil and dirt from the skin and is excellent for acne breakouts.
- Excellent for acne
- Good for oily skin
- Leaves skin feeling squeaky clean
- Very faint scent
- Produces a good lather
- Some find it too drying for their skin. But moisturizing after helps with that.
- Doesn’t last long with regular exposure to water
Sky Organics Authentic Liquid Black Soap From Ghana
It’s 100% natural and uses organic ingredients, with no chemical additives. It’s cruelty-free, vegan-friendly, and is a fair trade product.
Many prefer to use this over the raw blocks because it’s so easy to use and doesn’t have the rough, abrasive texture.
But, it still has all of the same ingredients and beneficial powers for your skin.
- It can be used as a body and face wash, and even on the scalp
- It helps to get rid of imperfections and marks on the skin
- Good for clearing up eczema, dermatitis, and acne
- It leaves the skin feeling very clean and people with oily skin report it being good at removing the excess oil
- It has a clean, earthy smell, that people generally like
- Some users find it to be a little bit thin and watery. But it still works well for washing.
African soap is a natural way of cleansing the skin that has a number of benefits (1).
Its antibacterial properties help to heal skin conditions such as acne (2).
And it can also exfoliate dead skin, protect it from aging, and fade dark spots. Leaving your skin looking youthful, smooth, and beautiful.
Some people can find it to be a bit drying for their skin. But using natural oils or a good moisturizer afterward will help you to keep your skin full of moisture.
The products listed above are all good choices. Which one you buy depends on your preference for a block, individual pre-cut bars, or a liquid that can be used like a shower gel.
We like using the large blocks and breaking a small piece off at a time. So our choice for the best black soap for skin is Sky Organics.