Did you know… that hyaluronic acid is often described as ‘the fountain of youth’?
It’s widely considered to be one of the most useful anti-aging treatments.
And it’s become the go-to choice for many who are looking to regain youthful, plump, and firm skin.
Its rejuvenating properties are not in any doubt:
A considerable body of scientific research proves the positive benefits it has for your skin.
We’ve analyzed more than 30 products to find the best hyaluronic acid serum for face care.
At a glance, these are our top picks:
- Vernal Skincare Hyaluronic Acid Serum
- Skinceuticals Hydrating B5 Gel
- ResQ Organics Night Serum
- Lilian Fache Hyaluron Topical Serum
- CSCS Advanced Face Serum
*All links lead to Amazon
You can find our reviews beneath the buying guide.
- 1 Buying Guide: How To Choose
- 2 The Best Hyaluronic Acid Serums
- 3 Why You Should Use Hyaluronic Acid Serum
- 4 Storage
- 5 Is It Safe? – Side Effects
- 6 Conclusion
Buying Guide: How To Choose
There are a couple of things that are worth considering when you’re choosing a hyaluronic acid serum:
What’s The Molecular Weight?
Hyaluronic acid in its natural form is a very large molecule.
But its size means it has difficulty in entering the skin.
Instead, this high molecular weight hyaluronic acid mostly sits on the surface rather than being absorbed.
When applied topically, it still acts as a good moisturizer, as it attracts and binds water. And helps to prevent moisture loss.
But it won’t increase internal moisturization as it can’t get inside your skin in sufficient quantity.
You will find that a lot of hyaluronic acid serums at the cheaper end of the market contain this in the list of ingredients.
If it’s just listed as hyaluronic acid in the ingredients, then it’s probably high molecular weight.
You can also get low molecular weight hyaluronic acid.
This is usually made from sodium hyaluronate, the sodium salt of hyaluronic acid.
During the process of making sodium hyaluronate, it’s possible to decrease the molecular weight by removing excess proteins, lipids, and nucleic acids.
The result is a much smaller molecule than regular hyaluronic acid. With better skin penetration.
This is quite popular in skincare formulations as the effects of using the product are supposedly greater.
What’s The Concentration?
Typically, hyaluronic acid is used in concentrations between 0.1-2%. It rarely exceeds 2%.
Anything more than 4% is undesirable, as higher concentrations can actually be drying for your skin.
Concentrations of 0.1% to 2% have proved effective in scientific studies.
It can successfully moisturize the skin, reduce lines on your face, and increase skin elasticity.
An important note:
You might see some products that claim they have 100% pure hyaluronic acid, or 70% etc.
But that doesn’t refer to the concentration in the final product. 100% pure is mixed with water or it would be a rock.
The Best Hyaluronic Acid Serums
Because of the range of brands available, finding the best hyaluronic acid serum can be difficult for buyers.
So here we provide a review of our favorite products on the market.
Skinceuticals Hydrating B5 Gel
The Skinceuticals brand is highly respected for its range of high quality and effective skin care products.
The Hydrating B5 Gel contains sodium hyaluronate at a 2% concentration and is made in the USA.
It’s combined with one other complementary active ingredient:
- Vitamin B5 is a water-soluble vitamin that easily penetrates deep into the skin. It acts as a humectant, binding water and moisturizing the skin. When applied regularly it also acts as an anti-inflammatory and soothes dry and itchy skin. It can also help chapped lips.
This product is often recommended by dermatologists to patients, and it has a reputation for being effective at hydrating dry skin.
It’s ideal for oily, dry, combination, normal, and sensitive skin types.
This is a good choice for people who want a hyaluronic acid serum without all the additional botanic and chemical ingredients that are put in other anti-aging serums.
Vernal Skincare Hyaluronic Acid Serum
This anti-aging hyaluronic acid serum from Vernal Skincare uses sodium hyaluronate at a 2% concentration.
It’s made in the USA without the use of parabens and sulfates, using 100% pure lab certified products.
It contains several other active ingredients that work together:
- Witch Hazel Extract helps to moisturize and reduce the size of skin pores. It’s also an anti-inflammatory and antibacterial. Which makes it an effective natural remedy for acne, psoriasis, and eczema.
- Lavender Oil is another anti-inflammatory and antibacterial. It prevents the formation of acne and can be used in the treatment of psoriasis and eczema. As an antioxidant, it offers protection against the damaging effects of ultraviolet rays.
- L-Arginine is an essential amino acid that acts as a moisturizer and antioxidant. Itthat helps to build collagen in the skin and promotes elasticity.
- Aloe Barbadensis (also known as Aloe vera) is well known for its moisturizing capabilities. It also has antibacterial properties. And it contains antioxidants that protect the skin from oxidative damage.
- Tocopheryl Acetate is vitamin E. This is an antioxidant that protects from sun damage and increases skin hydration.
- Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate is a vitamin C derivative. This is absorbed by the skin, where it acts as a powerful antioxidant, protecting
the itfrom ultraviolet radiation. It also stimulates the production of new collagen which makes the skin supple and younger looking.
- Retinyl Palmitate provides retinol (vitamin A) to your skin. It can help to reduce signs of skin aging due to its ability to stimulate collagen production and cellular regeneration.
Significant results are common within the first month of using this product. With firmer, smoother, and well-moisturized skin being visible to the eye.
It effectively reduces people’s fine lines and wrinkles and improves skin texture. Leaving a radiant and glowing appearance.
ResQ Organics Night Serum With Manuka Honey
This serum from ResQ Organics uses low molecular weight sodium hyaluronate.
Which increases its ability to penetrate the skin and provide long lasting hydration.
It has a hyaluronic acid concentration of 2% and is made in the USA, containing no alcohol, parabens, or fragrances.
It’s suitable for vegans as no animal products or testing has gone into its production.
This serum combines a number of natural active ingredients that have anti-aging properties:
- Manuka Honey is produced by the bees that feed on the Manuka shrub on New Zealand’s North Island. Its antibacterial properties fight against acne. And it soothes inflammation, moisturizes, and heals blemishes.
- Cehami is from an Australian flower that has been used for centuries by the Aboriginal people. It’s highly regarded for its ability to increase cell regeneration, act as an antimicrobial, and for its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Sodium Ascorbate is the sodium salt of vitamin C.
- Aloe Vera Gel soothes and moisturizes skin.
- Retinyl Palmitate – Vitamin A
- Tocopherol Acetate – Vitamin E
This highly effective blend has been a big hit with consumers.
Many people love how it makes their skin look and feel. And the speed with which noticeable results can be seen.
It also comes with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you are not happy with this product for any reason you can return it and be refunded.
Lilian Fache Hyaluronic Acid Serum
Lilian Fache Hyaluron Topical Serum uses sodium hyaluronate at a 1% concentration.
It also contains the following active ingredients:
- Glycerin is a humectant that attracts water and helps to moisturize the skin.
- Aloe Vera
- Tocopherol Acetate – Vitamin E
- Ascorbic Acid – Vitamin C
- Retinol Palmitate – Vitamin A
This hyaluronic serum has many satisfied customers. It fills in crow’s feet and helps to remove fine facial lines.
It’s great for making skin feel smooth and soft, with results appearing for some people in as little as three weeks.
The serum has no scent. So it’s suitable for people who are sensitive to that type of thing. And it goes well under makeup.
CSCS Advanced Serum
The CSCS brand uses 2% sodium hyaluronate in its serum.
It’s an all-natural serum that is suitable for vegans and made in a cruelty-free, eco-friendly environment in the USA.
There are no parabens, sulfates, or alcohol in this bottle.
It also includes:
- Ascorbic Acid – It contains 20% Vitamin C
This product is rich in the antioxidant vitamin C. Which not only helps to hydrate the skin.
But it also provides protection against photodamage. And reduces facial lines by stimulating collagen growth.
The serum works well with acne medications, beauty products, and sunscreens.
And it’s well tolerated by all skin types, even sensitive skin.
It successfully moisturizes and improves skin firmness and tone when used regularly.
And works well under the eyes to boost collagen and reduce the signs of aging.
Why You Should Use Hyaluronic Acid Serum
Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring molecule in your skin. It’s largely responsible for maintaining a high moisture content by binding and holding water.
It can hold 1000 times its own weight, with 1g having the capacity to hold 6 liters.
When you’re very young, your body produces enough hyaluronic acid to meet your needs. Keeping your skin looking plump, fresh, and well hydrated (1).
Sadly, as you age your production of hyaluronic acid slowly declines.
By the time you’re in your 40s the amount you produce has halved.
This means that as you age you have less and less hyaluronic acid in your skin.
This is one of the major reasons for skin aging and the formation of wrinkles, fine lines, and sagging.
Fortunately, using an effective serum can help to replace some of the hyaluronic acid that you lose (2).
Not only does this help to prevent the visible signs of aging.
But it can also help to reverse them. Giving you soft and smooth skin.
Using a hyaluronic acid serum has a number of scientifically proven benefits for your skin’s health. It:
- Reduces fine lines and wrinkles
- Increases elasticity
- Stimulates collagen production
- Improves areas of rough dehydrated skin
- Successfully treats conditions such as rosacea and dermatitis
You should keep your hyaluronic acid serum in a cool, dark place to maximize its shelf life. Some people like to keep serums like this in the fridge.
Is It Safe? – Side Effects
Hyaluronic acid is very safe, and very few people report skin irritation from using it in their routine.
Where irritation does occur, it’s likely to be caused by the other things that are included in the formula.
Before using you should consider doing a quick test on the back of your wrist.
Apply a small amount of the serum and leave it for 20 minutes. If no irritation occurs then proceed to use it.
Hyaluronic acid plays a proven role in keeping your skin moisturized.
And its loss as you age is one of the most important factors in the appearance of lines and wrinkles on your face and neck.
Fortunately, you can replace some of it and reverse the aging process by using a well-formulated beauty serum.
Hyaluronic serums are one of the top rated treatments for rejuvenating your appearance.
They’re good for any skin type, including combination, sensitive, and oily skin.
In our list of favorites, we have only included low molecular weight serums.
We’ve also included products with many other complementary active ingredients.
And those that have fewer extras added for people who want a serum that is mostly about the hyaluronic acid.
The best hyaluronic acid serum for face care in our opinion is: Vernal Skincare Hyaluronic Acid.
What hyaluronic acid serum has worked for you? Let us know in the comments below!