Are you struggling with acne or oily skin?
If so, then your luck could be about to change.
Because using a tea tree oil face wash on a daily basis is a proven way to help your skin.
You see, science supports the use of tea tree oil for the treatment of acne.
It’s one of the few natural ingredients that have clinical trials that prove its effectiveness.
So, adding it to your cleansing regime is an easy way to start seeing quick results.
We’ve taken a look for the best tea tree oil face wash for acne and oily skin.
In this article, we’ll show you how to choose a high-quality product. And show you our favorite choices.
The top tea tree oil face washes at a glance:
- Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash
- Era Organics Tea Tree Oil Face Cleanser
- Organic Doctor Tea Tree Face Wash
- Dr. Woods Shea Vision Tea Tree Liquid Facial Cleanser
- Trader Joe’s SPA Face Wash with Tea Tree Oil
- The Body Shop Tea Tree Skin Clearing Facial Wash
- Lotus Herbals Teatreewash
* Links above lead to Amazon
You can read the reviews beneath the product buying guide.
- 1 Buying Guide: Things To Consider
- 2 The Top Tea Tree Oil Face Washes Reviewed
- 3 The Benefits Of Using A Tea Tree Face Wash
- 4 Conclusion
Buying Guide: Things To Consider
There are many different tea tree oil face washes available on the market.
But, they vary in quality and in exactly what they will do for your skin.
So, here are a couple of important things to consider when making a selection:
What Additional Ingredients Does The Face Wash Contain?
Tea tree oil is great for preventing and fighting acne. But, a good face wash doesn’t stop there.
It should contain a blend of ingredients that offer a combination of antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant properties.
As well as the ability to cleanse the skin of dirt and excess oil.
We have a preference for natural and organic ingredients.
So, a face wash that has many natural acne-fighting ingredients gets extra marks when we’re comparing products.
We’ve highlighted interesting beneficial ingredients in our reviews below.
Some tea tree face washes also contain salicylic acid. This has a strong track record for acne treatment. So, many people like it.
But, it’s important to be aware of. Because it also has another effect on your skin that means it’s not for everybody…
Does It Contain An Exfoliator?
Exfoliation can be helpful for acne-prone skin.
Some acne face washes include ingredients such as salicylic acid, glycolic acid, or lactic acid to gently exfoliate the skin’s surface and unclog pores.
Small beads are also sometimes included to remove dead skin from the surface of your face.
But, not everybody responds well to this.
Some people can find it too drying for their skin.
In particular, people with dry or sensitive skin should be more careful about choosing a face wash that contains an exfoliator. It may need to be used less often.
The Top Tea Tree Oil Face Washes Reviewed
This is our selection of the best tea tree face wash brands:
It’s free of parabens, artificial colors and dyes, gluten, and petroleum products. It’s 100% suitable for vegans and has involved no animal cruelty in testing.
Besides the tea tree oil, it contains many natural ingredients that help to treat acne and maintain beautiful skin.
- Chamomile flower extract and goldenseal root extract. These also have antibacterial, antifungal, and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Hedychium Coronarium root extract helps to cleanse the skin.
- Bladderwrack extract soothes irritation and inflammation and reduces itchiness.
It’s suitable for all skin types and leaves it feeling clean and looking healthy. And there are many reports of it being effective for getting rid of cystic acne, adult acne, and pimples.
- Clears up acne breakouts
- Good for all skin types
- Leaves the skin feeling squeaky clean
- Cleans pores and gets rid of blackheads
- Large value size
- Some people find it to be a bit too strong for their skin
This is a high-quality tea tree product that’s available in an 8 oz bottle.
It’s made with natural and organic food-grade ingredients. It also free from harmful chemical additives such as parabens, artificial fragrances, or sulfates. And it’s animal-cruelty free.
This pH balanced tea tree oil facial cleanser is gentle for all skin types and helps to balance oils, fight acne-causing bacteria, and soothe inflamed skin.
It includes salicylic acid. And regular use softens the skin and improves its texture.
Natural active ingredients:
- Aloe barbadensis gel helps to soothe and moisturize
- Salicylic acid unclogs pores and exfoliates dead skin
- St. John’s wort hydrates and soothes sensitive skin and inflammation
- Dandelion root provides skin protecting antioxidants
- Burdock root is antibacterial and anti-inflammatory
- Pomegranate seed oil protects and moisturizes the skin
- Many natural acne-fighting ingredients
- Prevents breakouts
- Most people find it to be mild and non-drying
- Doesn’t lather or foam
It’s free from any potentially harmful additives such as parabens, sulfates, phthalates, or artificial fragrance. And is animal-cruelty free.
It’s a mild tea tree oil foaming cleanser that penetrates deeply into the skin, removing impurities from the pores.
And it clears away excess oil leaving the skin feeling refreshed and clean.
The tea tree oil used in its formulation contains over 38% terpinen-4-ol.
This is the main antiseptic and anti-inflammatory compound found in tea tree oil, and 38% is quite a high level.
It contains a number of natural and organically certified ingredients:
- Mandarin, lemon, and grapefruit peel oils kill harmful bacteria
- Willow bark extract clears skin pores and improves complexion
- Witch hazel extract is antibacterial and anti-aging
- Aloe barbadensis
- Very good at cleaning oily skin
- Lathers nicely with water
- Mild smell
- Some people find it drying
This tea tree cleanser is particularly aimed at combination and oily skin.
It comes in an 8 oz bottle, is free of unpleasant chemicals, and is cruelty-free.
The natural ingredients it contains help to soothe irritation and soften dry skin. And also provide very mild exfoliation due to its citric acid content.
Most people love how their face feels after using it. However, some people with dry skin report it being too strong for them.
- Rosemary extract protects the skin
- Amber extract has antimicrobial and antioxidant properties
- Tocopherol (vitamin E) protects the skin from sun-related damage
- Allantoin helps to renew skin cells
- Shea Butter moisturizes and soothes inflammation
- Citric acid helps to exfoliate and soften the skin
- Aloe vera
- Effective for oily skin
- Leaves skin feeling soft and supple
- A small amount of this tea tree facial wash goes a long way
- Nice smell
- Can be uncomfortably drying for dry skin
It can dry up pimples and reduce acne without over-drying the skin.
Some people find it to be a bit too thin and watery, making it harder to work into a lather on the skin without wastage.
In addition to the tea tree, it contains:
- Goldenseal root extract for its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties
- Bitter orange peel oil which helps to improve the texture and tone of the skin
- Coconut oil kills the acne bacteria and moisturizes
- Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) flower is helpful for inflammatory skin conditions such as acne and rosacea
- Lavender oil has anti-acne and anti-aging properties
- Drys up acne breakouts fast
- Pleasant natural scent
- Very effective tea tree oil cleanser, but too drying for some
- The pump dispenses more than is needed for one wash
The Body Shop
Made with pure Community Trade tea tree oil, it’s a gel based face wash that is very effective at reducing acne breakouts and cleansing oily skin.
It’s gentle and can be used regularly in the mornings and evenings without drying it out.
It also contains:
- Tamanu oil is moisturizing and soothing
- Vitamin E
- Big brand with a good reputation
- Removes oil without being too drying
- Low on natural ingredients
- Cinnamon. This has amazing and potent antimicrobial properties that can kill the acne-causing bacteria
- Oak bark extract is soothing and can reduce inflammation
- Peppermint oil is antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory
- Leaves the skin looking fresh and clear
- Gentle on the skin
- Not as high in natural and organic ingredients as other tea tree face wash selections
The Benefits Of Using A Tea Tree Face Wash
Tea tree essential oil is one of the few natural ingredients that people use for the treatment of acne that actually has a lot of scientific evidence to support its use.
Clinical trials conducted involving it have returned significant results. They have proved its effectiveness as an acne fighting ingredient.
In one such trial, 5% tea tree oil was found to be comparable in results to 5% benzoyl peroxide when used over a 3 month period. But importantly, the tea tree oil had fewer side effects than the common chemical acne treatment (1).
It has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that are very useful for treating acne (2).
You might also like:
It’s important to use a good face wash or facial cleanser on a daily basis when you are struggling with acne and pimples.
It will help to remove any dirt and environmental pollutants that become attached to your skin. As well as harmful bacteria, oil, and dead skin. These are all things that can contribute towards blocking your pores. Which encourages the development of an acne infection.
By cleaning the skin with a quality face wash you also make it easier for any skin care products that you subsequently use to be absorbed by the skin and have the greatest effect.
Using tea tree oil cleansers on a daily basis is an excellent way to get the benefits of this powerful ingredient. And see rapid improvement in your acne outbreaks.
Using a tea tree oil face wash on a daily basis has helped a lot of people to clear their skin of acne and prevent further breakouts. It’s a more effective skin care treatment than standard soap.
Tea tree oil is a proven acne-fighting ingredient. And using it in a face wash is a convenient way to get its full beauty benefits.
However, it can dry out the skin. So using a moisturizer afterward is sometimes recommended.
Our best tea tree oil face wash for acne is the one from Desert Essence.