I’m sure you’ll agree with me when I say:
Keeping your skin well moisturized helps it to look younger.
Which is why the regular use of a good face cream has long been a beauty essential for women around the world.
But a moisturizer that contains vitamin C?
That’s taking it to another level.
You see, the anti-aging benefits of vitamin C for skin are scientifically proven. It can knock years off your face.
It’s an excellent way to improve the appearance of lines and wrinkles on the skin. As well as texture and tone.
It’s not unusual for people who regularly use a vitamin C moisturizer to look 10 years younger.
But how do you find a good product?
In this article, I’ll tell you the important things to consider before you buy.
And show you my choice of the best vitamin C moisturizer creams.
The top picks at a glance:
- Vitamin C Cream By About Face Organics
- TruSkin Naturals Daily Facial Moisturizer
- Super C-22 Vitamin C Cream
- Amara Organics Vitamin C Cream For Face
- Andalou Organics Probiotic + C Renewal Cream
*All links lead to Amazon
- 1 Buying Guide: Important Things To Consider
- 2 Reviews: Favorite Brands
- 3 Advice For Using
- 4 Final Thoughts
Buying Guide: Important Things To Consider
Whenever I buying a new vitamin C moisturizer these are some of the most important things I consider before making a selection:
What type of vitamin C does it contain?
Vitamin C skincare products come with a number of different forms of vitamin C.
This has a particular importance when thinking about a skin cream.
You see, vitamin C in its original form L-ascorbic acid is not very stable when its exposed to the air and is easily oxidized (1). Thereby losing its effectiveness.
Instead, for skin creams, it’s best to use a stable form such as sodium ascorbyl phosphate. This will give the product a longer life and means that you don’t have to store it in an airless bottle or in the fridge.
Other common stable forms include:
- Ascorbyl palmitate – sometimes called vitamin C ester
- Magnesium ascorbyl phosphate
- Tetrahexydecyl ascorbate
You will commonly find these in vitamin C products including moisturizers, serums, and cleansers.
They all have the full range of benefits.
They stimulate collagen production in the skin and can improve its appearance. Other benefits include protecting the skin from sun damage and related aging. And reducing dark spots and blemishes.
Are there any beneficial added ingredients?
Most moisturizers will contain other ingredients that enhance its moisturizing and anti-aging powers.
Personally, I’m a big believer in trying to use products that contain mostly natural and organic ingredients with proven skincare benefits.
I’ve pointed out some of these in the reviews of the products listed below.
But you should always take a look at the ingredients list before you buy.
This is the good stuff, but you also want to keep an eye out for the bad stuff.
Is There Anything In It That You Want To Avoid?
Unfortunately, there’s a lot of cosmetic products out there which contain a large amount of added chemicals.
Not all synthetic chemicals are harmful to the skin, and it can be difficult to avoid them all of the time. But, there are some additives that have a particularly dubious track record.
- Synthetic fragrances
- Mineral oil
These can potentially cause health problems. Such as skin irritation, hormone disruption, and more. They are best to avoid if you can.
Reviews: Favorite Brands
The following is my selection of the top-rated vitamin C creams on the market:
About Face Organics
This high-quality moisturizer comes in a 2 oz jar. It’s an all-natural product and is completely free of parabens, gluten, mineral oils, sulfates, and GMO ingredients. It’s 100% suitable for vegans to use and is a cruelty-free product.
It uses vitamin C ester. This is a highly stable, fat-soluble form of vitamin C that’s easily absorbed. It gives minimal irritation compared to other types.
I love that it also includes vitamin E. The two work together to amplify their antioxidant effects when applied to the skin.
The following natural ingredients are also included in good quantity:
- Botanical hyaluronic acid and coconut oil help to keep moisture in the skin.
- Organic neem seed oil provides antibacterial action to keep acne and pimples away.
- Vitamin b3 (niacinamide) has been included for its ability to increase the regeneration of skin cells. It can also improve skin elasticity.
This is an excellent moisturizer for people with sensitive skin. But it’s also suitable for people with dry, combination, normal, or oily skin.
I really like that not only are all the ingredients natural, but it’s 84% organic as well.
The reason it’s not 100% organic is that the organic label can only apply to ingredients that are farmed organically. And therefore the vitamin C itself can’t be considered organic.
It contains a good amount of vitamin C at a 15% concentration, which helps to produce its beneficial effects.
People report excellent results at improving their complexion and clearing up blemishes and acne.
And its anti-aging effects improve the skin’s appearance and texture.
The skin absorbs it without leaving it feeling oily or greasy, and it’s free of fragrance.
Another thing that I really like is their choice of preservative.
Most products use chemical preservatives, with phenoxyethanol being very common. While this is considered safe in very small quantities (2), it’s still a point of debate (3). Some people prefer not to use it.
So it’s good to know that this product contains a natural preservative instead: Rosemary leaf extract.
- Large amount of organic ingredients
- Contains vitamin E for enhanced antioxidant skin protection
- No added fragrance
- Improves complexion
- Reduces rosacea
- Good for sensitive skin
- Natural preservative
- Some people report needing to apply it more than once for adequate moisturization
TruSkin Naturals Daily Facial Moisturizer
This product from TruSkin Naturals comes in a 4 oz bottle. It can also be purchased in 2 oz and 50ml size containers.
The vitamin C is at 15% concentration and is present in the form of sodium ascorbyl phosphate.
It’s free from sulfates, phthalates, and parabens.
It’s also an animal cruelty-free product that’s suitable for use by vegans.
The following are also included in the formulation:
- Organic Aloe vera soothes and heals skin conditions
- Jojoba oil, palm oil, safflower oil, and shea butter help to moisturize the skin
- Vitamin b5 helps to moisturize and regenerate the skin
- Organic green tea provides antioxidant protection
This cream has a great consistency. It’s smooth, goes on easily, and feels great on the skin.
People report that it’s effective at reducing lines and wrinkles with regular use, and it fades age spots and areas of hyperpigmentation.
It doesn’t contain any artificial fragrances, and most people say that the smell of the cream is almost unnoticeable.
- Leaves skin looking bright and fresh
- Removes lines and wrinkles
- Fades age spots
- Goes well under makeup
- Nice consistency
- Inconsistent results on oily skin
- Not enough moisturization for some people with very dry skin
Body Merry Super C-22 Moisturizer
This vitamin C moisturizing cream by Body Merry comes in a 1.7 oz bottle. It largely consists of natural and organic ingredients and is leaping bunny certified. This proves that it’s animal-cruelty free.
The vitamin C it contains is the stable sodium ascorbyl phosphate. It contains a 22% concentration. However, studies have indicated that the optimum concentration for vitamin C absorption by the skin is 20%. And that greater concentration is actually absorbed worse.
The formula also includes:
- Botanical hyaluronic acid, jojoba oil, sunflower oil, and shea butter for moisturization.
- Aloe vera to soothe inflammation.
- Vitamins B3 and B5 aid skin regeneration.
- Co-enzyme Q10 which acts as an antioxidant.
It has a pleasant citrus smell, and most people find it’s easily absorbed and tolerated. But, some people with sensitive skin report finding it irritating.
People report that it makes skin look radiant after regular use. And improves skin tone and texture.
- Softens skin without making it feel oily
- Citrus scent from natural ingredients
- Refreshes dull looking skin
- Moisturizes and plumps the skin
- Good for oily skin
- Some people with very dry skin find that it doesn’t moisturize enough
- Can be irritating to sensitive skin. High vitamin C concentrations can sometimes be like this so it comes with the territory.
This moisturizer from Amara Organics comes in a 1.7 oz bottle. It contains mostly organic and natural skincare ingredients. Without any artificial fragrances, dyes, or parabens. It’s a cruelty-free product that’s made in the USA.
Besides the vitamin C, it contains some other ingredients.
- It has coconut oil, sunflower oil, cocoa butter, and jojoba oil to provide deep moisturization.
- Aloe vera, which soothes irritation, inflammation, and dryness.
- Cocoa butter, which moisturizes and is good for all skin types.
This product is easily absorbed by the skin, leaving it well moisturized.
One of the great things about it is how many people report seeing significant improvements after regular use.
It helps to remove fine lines, improve skin tone, and leaves the skin glowing.
The vitamin C type that it contains is 5% sodium ascorbyl phosphate. This helps to give the cream a long shelf life.
- No artificial fragrance
- Leaves skin glowing
- Easy to apply makeup over it
- Good for dry skin
- Some people don’t like its distinctive cocoa butter smell. Although this fades quickly.
- Low vitamin C concentration.
Andalou Naturals Probiotic + C Renewal Cream
The vitamin C is in the form of magnesium ascorbyl phosphate, at an unstated %.
It contains all natural ingredients, many of which are organically grown. There are no petrochemicals, sulfates, parabens, phthalates, synthetic fragrances, or colors. No GMO plants are used and it’s leaping bunny certified as animal cruelty-free.
Among its large number of natural ingredients it contains:
- Aloe leaf juice for its soothing, moisturizing, and skin healing properties
- Jojoba oil, sunflower oil, and sodium hyaluronate (hyaluronic acid) to moisturize
- Vitamin E as an antioxidant
- Probiotics that protect the skin and help to maintain a healthy pH balance
- Allantoin for its healing and hydrating effects
This product is formulated for people with normal and combination skin
I like the added vitamin E because of its previously mentioned synergistic effects with vitamin C.
And it’s great that this is another product that doesn’t contain synthetic chemicals. There are too few products about that are like this.
- Great ingredients
- Minimizes lines and wrinkles
- Smells nice
- Helps skin conditions like dermatitis
- Improves the appearance of acne scars
- Good for normal and combination skin
- Low vitamin C concentration
- Some people with dry skin didn’t find it moisturizing enough
Advice For Using
1. It’s advised to use a moisturizing face cream twice a day. Once in the morning, and once in the evening. This is particularly recommended for people with dry skin.
2. The best time to use it is after you have had a shower, bath, or have cleansed your face. When the skin is moist it’s easier for the active ingredients in the cream to absorb.
3. Get into the regular habit of moisturizing. Set a routine where you do it at the same times each day.
4. While your face is still moist from washing, take a small amount between your fingers and gently rub the moisturizer into it using upward strokes.
Using a vitamin C face cream on a daily basis is a great way to keep your skin well moisturized. And also take advantage of its anti-aging and protective benefits.
With regular use, it can even repair some of the age-related damage that you can see in the mirror.
There are many good products available on the market. But our top choice is the cream by About Face Organics. Because of its high vitamin C content and impressive list of natural and organic ingredients.