Are you looking for a proven home remedy for acne?
If so, then basil is worth your time.
There are many reports from people who’ve used it successfully.
And there are even scientific studies that support its use.
So, to get you started, I’ll show you how to use basil for acne with 5 simple recipes.
How To Use Basil For Acne
Scientific studies have shown that sweet basil, holy basil, and African basil are all effective at treating acne and pimples.
This is largely because of their ability to kill bacteria.
But they also have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that could help as well.
So any of the above are good to use in the following recipes:
Basil Essential Oil And Aloe Vera Gel
When combined with the Aloe vera gel, the ability of basil oil to treat acne is enhanced.
Studies show a greater effect than 1% Clindamycin, an antibiotic used for acne treatment (1).
- Purchase a jar of Aloe vera gel and a bottle of essential basil oil.
- Get a small bowl and put 2 teaspoons of the gel into it.
- Mix 2 drops of the essential oil into the gel using a spoon.
- Apply the Aloe vera and basil oil mixture to your face using a brush or your fingers.
- Use twice a day for the best results.
Basil Tea Toner
- Get 30 fresh basil leaves.
- Boil a kettle of water.
- Pour 1/2 a cup of boiling water.
- Pour the water into a blender.
- Add the basil leaves.
- Blend until it is smooth.
- Allow the mixture to cool for approximately 15 minutes.
- Pour the mixture through a fine-mesh strainer and collect the fluid in a bowl.
- Use a cotton pad to apply the basil toner to your face after cleansing twice a day.
- Put the liquid in a small bottle with a lid, and keep in the fridge for future use.
Yogurt And Basil Face Mask
The probiotic bacteria in yogurt can help against an acne infection.
- Get 20-30 fresh basil leaves and a carton of organic yogurt.
- Crush the leaves into a paste using a pestle and mortar.
- Place the basil leaf paste into a small bowl.
- Add 1 teaspoon of organic yogurt to the bowl and mix together well.
- Apply the mixture to your face.
- Leave the mixture on your face for approximately 20 minutes before washing it off again.
- Use as often as you wish.
Basil And Neem Face Mask
Neem leaves have antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that make it useful for acne treatment.
- Get 20 fresh basil leaves and 20 fresh neem leaves.
- Place the leaves in a blender with a small amount of water.
- Blend into a paste.
- After washing your face, apply the paste to your skin.
- Leave the face mask on for about 15 minutes before washing again.
- Use this face mask every day to get clear skin.
Basil And Oatmeal Face Mask
Oatmeal has been used in scientific studies to successfully treat a number of skin conditions, including acne.
- Get 30 basil leaves and a packet of oatmeal.
- Place the basil leaves in a blender with a small amount of water.
- Blend into a paste.
- Put the paste into a bowl.
- Cook the oatmeal as described in the instructions on the packet.
- Add the oatmeal to the bowl of basil paste and mix together using a fork or spoon.
- Allow the mixture to cool until it’s comfortable to leave on your skin.
- Wash and dry your face.
- Apply the mixture to your face using your fingers.
- Leave it on your skin for approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Wash your skin with water and pat dry with a towel.
- You can use this every day as part of your skincare routine.
Side Effects And Precautions
Using basil essential oil on your skin is safe and without side-effects for most people.
But, it’s always a good idea to do a quick patch test before applying it to your face. Put a small amount on the back of your wrist and leave for 20 minutes to see how your skin reacts.
Basil is an easy and cheap ingredient to use. And many people have found it useful for treating acne.
I think it’s particularly worth trying the Aloe vera and basil oil combination. As scientific studies have proved this to be an effective method.
Have you tried basil for acne? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section.