Aloe vera is one of the most popular natural skincare ingredients.
And with good reason.
It’s soothing, moisturizing, and protects the skin from aging.
It’s long been prized for its health and beauty powers. With documented records of its use stretching back thousands of years.
Face masks are a fun and effective way to take advantage of its age-defying and skin healing potential.
Are you ready to make DIY Aloe vera face masks for acne and glowing skin?
Let’s get started!
- 1 Aloe Vera Face Mask Benefits
- 2 DIY Face Mask Recipes
- 2.1 Aloe Vera & Manuka Honey
- 2.2 Aloe Vera & Basil Essential Oil
- 2.3 Aloe Vera & Coconut Oil
- 2.4 Aloe Vera, Turmeric, & Honey
- 2.5 Aloe Vera, Avocado, & Oatmeal
- 2.6 Aloe Vera & Yogurt
- 2.7 Aloe Vera & Papaya
- 2.8 Aloe Vera & Tomato
- 2.9 Aloe Vera & Cinnamon
- 2.10 Aloe Vera & French Green Clay
- 2.11 Aloe Vera, Almond Oil, & Banana
- 2.12 Aloe Vera, Rose Water, & Cucumber
- 2.13 Aloe Vera, Strawberry, Honey, & Coconut Oil
- 2.14 Side Effects & Precautions
- 3 Finding A Gel
- 4 Final Thoughts
Aloe Vera Face Mask Benefits
Aloe vera is packed full of bioactive compounds that can interact with your skin.
These include vitamins, enzymes, phenolic compounds, fatty acids, salicylic acid, and saponins.
Together, they have many interesting benefits. Including:
- Moisturizing the skin
- Anti-aging protection
- Healing acne
Studies have shown that Aloe vera can increase the amount of water found in the stratum corneum, improving skin hydration (1).
It also stimulates the fibroblasts in your skin to start producing more collagen and elastin (2).
This increases skin elasticity. And could help to reduce the formation of lines and wrinkles on the skin. As well as improving the appearance of pre-existing lines and wrinkles.
One of the biggest reasons that Aloe vera is so popular in face masks is its reputation for helping treat acne.
It has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant properties that could help to reduce and prevent the condition.
DIY Face Mask Recipes
Aloe vera gel is easy to use in face masks and can be combined with almost any other natural skincare ingredient.
These combinations can enhance specific benefits, depending on what you are looking to get from it.
Here are some homemade avocado face mask recipes for you to try:
Aloe Vera & Manuka Honey
Manuka honey has antibacterial properties that can kill acne bacteria. It also helps to moisturize the skin. And it removes fine lines thanks to gentle exfoliation.
- Get a bottle of Aloe vera gel and a jar of organic, raw, UMF 15+ manuka honey.
- Put 2 tablespoons of honey and 2 tablespoons of the gel into a bowl.
- Mix the ingredients together.
- Apply the honey and Aloe mixture to your face with your fingers.
- Leave the face mask on your skin for 20 minutes.
- Clean your face using water.
- This can be used daily.
Aloe Vera & Basil Essential Oil
Science has shown an enhanced ability for Aloe vera and basil oil to treat acne when used together.
In one study, it was found to be more effective than the topical antibiotic Clindamycin, a commonly prescribed acne medication (1).
In our recipe, the gel acts as a carrier for the essential oil. Making a 2% concentration of basil oil. The same as in the study above.
2% is a commonly recommended Starting concentration when using essential oils. Because most people should find it easy to tolerate.
- Get a bottle of basil essential oil and some Aloe vera gel.
- Put 1 tablespoon of the gel into a small bowl.
- Place 6 drops of the basil oil into the same bowl.
- Mix the two together.
- Spread the mixture over your face.
- You can leave it on your skin for 20 minutes before washing off again. But you can also leave this on your skin overnight.
- Use each day for best results.
Aloe Vera & Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is a great moisturizer for the skin.
And it also has antibacterial properties that can kill the acne-causing bacteria P. acnes.
In this recipe, we’ll also add some lavender essential oil. Which gives it a stress-relieving scent. And adds additional antioxidants. As well as further ability to kill the acne bacteria.
But you can add any essential oil of your preference instead.
- Get a bottle of organic lavender essential oil, a bottle of organic virgin coconut oil, and some Aloe vera gel.
- Put 1 tablespoon of the gel in a small bowl.
- Add 1 teaspoon of the coconut oil to the bowl.
- Add 8 drops of the essential oil to the bowl.
- Mix the ingredients with a spoon.
- Gently apply the mixture to your face with your hands.
- Leave on your skin for approximately 20 minutes and then clean off again.
- Use every day.
Aloe Vera, Turmeric, & Honey
Turmeric contains curcumin which has antibacterial activity against P. acnes. It also has anti-aging and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Get some Aloe vera gel, a bottle of raw organic honey, and a jar of turmeric powder.
- Put 1 tablespoon of the gel in a small bowl.
- Add 1 teaspoon of honey to the bowl.
- Add a pinch of turmeric powder and mix the ingredients together.
- Apply to your face and leave for about 20 minutes.
- Then wash your face.
- Use twice a week.
Aloe Vera, Avocado, & Oatmeal
Avocado helps to moisturize and improve the appearance of your skin.
And oatmeal has anti-inflammatory properties that can help with psoriasis, dermatitis, and acne.
It can soothe irritated, itchy, and sensitive skin. And it’s helpful for people with oily skin.
It also helps to protect the skin against UV radiation.
- Get a ripe avocado, some Aloe vera gel, and a packet of oatmeal.
- Cut off approximately ¼ of an avocado and remove the flesh from the peel.
- Put the flesh into a bowl and mash it until it forms a paste.
- Cook ¼ cup of oatmeal following the instructions on the packet.
- Allow the oatmeal to cool a bit and then add it to the bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the gel and mix the ingredients together.
- Apply it to your face.
- Leave the face mask on for about 20 minutes and then use water to wash it clean.
- This face mask can be used as regularly as you like.
Aloe Vera & Yogurt
Yogurt contains probiotic bacteria that not only help to protect and moisturize the skin. But could also to prevent the growth of the acne bacteria.
- Get a carton of natural organic Greek yogurt and Aloe vera gel.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of Aloe gel with 1 tablespoon of yogurt in a small bowl.
- You can vary the amount of Aloe added until you have a consistency that you like, but it should be a smooth and thick liquid.
- Apply the aloe and yogurt to your skin.
- Leave it on for about 20 minutes before cleaning your face.
- This gentle face mask can be used every day.
Aloe Vera & Papaya
Papaya helps to remove old skin cells from the surface due to the action of its enzymes papain and chymopapain. Leaving your skin looking fresh and smooth.
- Get a ripe papaya and some aloe vera gel.
- Slice and mash a piece of papaya in a small bowl. The piece of papaya should be big enough to produce enough mashed fruit to cover your face.
- Add 2 tablespoons of Aloe gel and continue to mix the ingredients together until you have a paste.
- Apply the face mask and leave for 20 minutes.
- Wash your face clean again.
- Use this whenever you want to freshen up your skin. It can be used every day.
Aloe Vera & Tomato
Tomato contains antioxidants such as lycopene that can protect the skin from photoaging.
- Get a carton of tomato juice and some Aloe vera gel.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of the gel with 1 tablespoon of the juice.
- Apply it to your face for approximately 20 minutes before washing it off again.
- You can use it each day.
Aloe Vera & Cinnamon
Cinnamon has powerful antibacterial and anti-aging properties. This face mask is good for people who are struggling with acne.
- Get a jar of ground cinnamon and some Aloe vera gel.
- Measure out 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder into a bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon of Aloe vera.
- Mix the two together well using a fork or whisk.
- Use a cotton swab or your fingers to apply the mixture over your skin.
- Leave the mixture on your face for 10-15 minutes before washing off.
- Use once or twice per week.
Aloe Vera & French Green Clay
Green clay helps to absorb bacteria, oil, and impurities from your skin pores. And can help to exfoliate away blackheads and dead cells from the skin’s surface.
- Purchase some green clay face mask powder and some Aloe vera gel.
- Mix together 2 teaspoons of the clay powder with 1 tablespoon of the gel in a small bowl. It should form a paste. Use a plastic spoon for the powder.
- Use your fingers to apply the face mask to your skin.
- Leave the face mask in place for around 20 minutes. It should start to dry.
- Rinse the face mask off with water before it starts to flake. It should still feel slightly sticky to the touch.
- Use once a week.
Aloe Vera, Almond Oil, & Banana
Banana contains antioxidants, vitamins, and nutrients that are good for the skin.
Almond oil is a fantastic moisturizer that’s easily absorbed. And leaves skin feeling supple and smooth.
- Get a ripe banana, a bottle of the best organic almond oil, and some Aloe vera gel.
- Mash half a large banana in a bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons of Aloe vera gel to the bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon of almond oil.
- Mix the ingredients together thoroughly.
- Apply the mask with your fingers.
- Wait for about 20 minutes before washing off.
- It can be used every day.
Aloe Vera, Rose Water, & Cucumber
Rose water has a relaxing scent that can help to relieve stress and anxiety. And antibacterial powers that can kill the acne bacteria.
Cucumber can help to soothe inflamed and irritated skin.
- Get a fresh cucumber, a bottle of rose water, and some Aloe vera gel.
- Mash half a cucumber or puree it in a blender.
- Put the pureed cucumber in a bowl.
- Add 1 teaspoon of rose water to the bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the gel.
- Mix all of the ingredients together in the bowl.
- Apply the face mask with your hands.
- Allow the face mask to sit for 15-20 minutes.
- Use cool water to wash the mixture off your face.
- This can be used every day.
Aloe Vera, Strawberry, Honey, & Coconut Oil
Strawberries help to exfoliate the skin. Clearing away dead cells and blackheads. And leaving skin soft, smooth, and fresh. They also contain skin protective antioxidants.
- Get some Aloe vera gel, 4 or 5 strawberries, a jar of raw organic honey, and a bottle of organic virgin coconut oil.
- Mash or blend the strawberries and put them in a bowl.
- Add 1 teaspoon of Aloe vera gel.
- Add 1 teaspoon of honey.
- Add 1 teaspoon of coconut oil.
- Mix them all together.
- Gently rub the mixture into your face and leave for 15-20 minutes.
- Wash and dry your face.
- Use once or twice a week.
Side Effects & Precautions
Aloe vera, and other natural ingredients, can cause irritation for some people.
Before using a face mask for the first time, you should test the mixture on the back of your arm to check for an allergic reaction.
Apply a small amount to the skin and leave for approximately 20 minutes before applying it to your face.
Finding A Gel
When buying a gel you will usually find that you can’t get a 100% certified organic product.
Because it requires a small amount of preservative for it to keep.
But, it’s still best to make sure that the Aloe vera was grown organically.
An alternative is to grow and harvest the plant yourself so that you can use it fresh.
When buying a bottled gel, try to buy one that has as much Aloe vera in it as possible.
You can get a gel that’s 99.75% Aloe. With just 0.25% natural stabilizers and preservatives.
Aloe vera face masks are very popular with natural beauty enthusiasts.
Most people find it to be a soothing ingredient for the skin. Which moisturizes, protects, and helps to reduce skin conditions like acne.
And it’s easily combined with other beneficial ingredients, increasing their positive effects.
If you want to relax and pamper yourself. Or improve a specific problem. Aloe vera makes a great base for a face mask that can do the job.
Have you tried any Aloe vera face masks? Please share your experiences with us in the comments section below.