It’s no secret that avocados are great for your skin.
They’re packed full of vitamins and nutrients and have a lovely smooth consistency.
Making them the perfect facial mask ingredient.
The best part?
They’re easy to prepare and have a number of beneficial properties.
And it doesn’t stop there:
You can also combine them with other natural skin care ingredients. Making highly effective alternatives to expensive commercial products.
That help with a range of skin problems, from acne to anti-aging.
It’s one of my favorite natural beauty treatments. And I’ve collected many of my favorite recipes over the years.
So in this article, I’ll show you how you can make homemade avocado face masks for acne and glowing skin.
Avocado Face Mask Benefits For Your Skin
One of the great things about avocados is the variety of skin nourishing nutrients they pack.
They’re high in protective antioxidants including vitamins E, C, and carotenoids (1).
And the plant phytosterols they contain can soothe inflammation.
They’re also a useful source of the essential fatty acids linoleic acid and alpha-linolenic acid (acne patients have particularly low linoleic acid levels in their skin (2)).
Together these have the following benefits, they:
- Moisturize the skin
- Protect skin from aging
- Reduce wrinkles and lines
- Soothe itchy and sensitive skin
- Treat acne
- Relieve sunburn
Does this sound like the sort of thing you’re looking for?
Let’s get stuck into the recipes!
How To Make Homemade Avocado Face Masks For Acne
The following DIY recipes are simple and easy to make. Most contain 2 or 3 easy to get nutritious ingredients:
Plain Avocado Face Mask
You can use avocado for acne on its own as a face mask. Each of the subsequent face mask recipes requires that you carry out the first four steps to prepare the avocado.
- Get a fresh and ripe avocado.
- Slice the avocado in half and remove the pit.
- Take half an avocado, scrape the fruit out of the peel into a small bowl using a spoon.
- Mash the avocado with a fork until it’s smooth and creamy.
- The mashed avocado can be applied to your skin without any additions using your fingers.
- Leave it on your skin for approximately 20 minutes before washing off with warm water.
Avocado & Banana Face Mask
Banana contains a number of vitamins and nutrients that are good for the skin.
It has antioxidant and antibacterial properties that protect the skin and can kill bacteria. Making it useful for the treatment of acne and pimples.
- Prepare the avocado as in the plain avocado recipe above.
- Peel a banana.
- Break the banana into small chunks and then add them to the mashed avocado.
- Use a fork to mash the banana together with the avocado until it’s smooth.
- Use your fingers to spread the mixture on your face.
- Leave it on your face for 15-20 minutes.
- Wash the face mask off your face using warm water and dry with a clean towel.
- Use every day for best results.
Avocado & Oatmeal Face Mask
Oatmeal has anti-inflammatory properties that have seen it used successfully in scientific studies in the treatment of dermatitis, psoriasis, and acne.
It can soothe itchy and sensitive skin and is good for oily skin. It also contains antioxidants that help to protect against ultraviolet radiation.
- Mash the avocado fruit as explained in the plain avocado recipe above.
- Take 1/2 a cup of oatmeal.
- Cook the oatmeal as per the instructions on the packet.
- Mix the oatmeal with the avocado using a fork until it forms a paste.
- Apply the avocado and oatmeal face mask using your fingers.
- Leave it on your skin for approximately 15 minutes.
- Rinse the face mask off your skin with warm water and pat dry.
- You can use this as frequently as you desire.
Avocado & Honey Face Mask
Honey has powerful antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that make it a common natural ingredient in face masks.
It’s also an effective moisturizer and contains skin-protecting antioxidants.
Some people consider this the best avocado face mask for acne-prone skin.
- See the plain avocado recipe above for instructions on avocado preparation.
- Get a jar of the best raw organic honey.
- Measure out 1 tablespoon of the honey into the bowl with the avocado.
- Use a fork to thoroughly mix the ingredients together.
- Use a brush or your fingers to apply the avocado and honey face mask.
- Leave it on your face for 20 minutes and then wash off with water.
- Repeat every day if you are treating acne.
Avocado & Yogurt Face Mask
Yogurt has been used for thousands of tears as a beauty treatment. The probiotic bacteria that it contains protect and moisturize the skin.
They also enhance your skin’s natural ability to kill the bacteria that causes acne.
- Prepare the avocado as in the plain avocado recipe.
- Get a carton of organic, plain Greek yogurt.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of the yogurt with the avocado paste using a fork or spoon.
- Use your fingers or a brush to carefully spread the face mask on your skin.
- Leave the face mask on for about 15-20 minutes.
- Wash the face mask off and pat dry with a towel.
- You can use this face mask every day.
Avocado & Lemon Face Mask
Lemon juice can be used for acne. It’s an antibacterial that can kill acne-causing bacteria and exfoliate dead skin from your face due to the citric acid it contains.
It can help to give you revitalized, glowing skin. But care also needs to be taken in its use.
It photo-sensitizes the skin. So try to avoid sun exposure. And always wear a sunscreen after using lemon juice.
- Mash half an avocado in a bowl as in the plain avocado recipe above.
- Get a lemon.
- Slice the lemon in half.
- Squeeze half a lemon into the bowl containing the avocado.
- Stir the lemon and avocado together using a fork or spoon.
- Apply the mixture to your face using a brush or your fingers. Take special care to avoid your eyes, lips, or any open wounds.
- Leave the face mask on your face for approximately 15 minutes.
- Wash your face with water and dry with a clean towel.
- Use this face mask 2-3 times per week.
- Use a sunscreen in the days after using this face mask.
Avocado, Honey, & Lemon face mask
- Follow the steps in the plain avocado recipe to prepare the avocado.
- Get a lemon and a jar of raw organic honey.
- Slice the lemon in half and squeeze the juice into the bowl of mashed avocado.
- Add 1 tablespoon of honey to the bowl.
- Mix together using a fork.
- Apply the mixture to your face using a brush or your fingers.
- Leave it on your face for 15 minutes.
- Wash the mixture off with warm water and pat dry.
- Use 2-3 times per week for best results.
- Always use a sunscreen daily when using lemon juice or any other exfoliant.
Avocado, Honey, & Yogurt Face Mask
This is a good avocado face mask for glowing skin.
- See the plain avocado recipe above for avocado preparation.
- Get a jar of raw organic honey and a carton of plain Greek yogurt.
- Add 1 tablespoon of raw organic honey to the mashed avocado.
- Add 1 tablespoon of yogurt to the bowl.
- Mix the ingredients completely using a fork.
- Use your fingers or a brush to apply the mixture to your face.
- Leave the mixture on your face for about 15-20 minutes.
- Clean your face with warm water and dry.
- This can be used every day.
Avocado & Coconut Oil Face Mask
Coconut oil is moisturizing and has antibacterial properties that can kill the acne-causing bacteria P. acnes.
It also provides your skin with antioxidants that protect it from UV related damage and aging.
This is a good avocado face mask for dry skin.
- Follow the steps in the plain avocado recipe to prepare the avocado.
- Get a jar of ‘virgin’ or ‘extra virgin’ coconut oil.
- Take 1 tablespoon of the oil.
- If your oil is solid at room temperature, then gently heat it in a pan until it melts.
- Add the liquid oil to the bowl of mashed avocado.
- Mix together using a fork or spoon.
- Spread on your skin using a brush or your fingertips.
- Leave the avocado mask on your face for approximately 20 minutes.
- Wash off using warm water.
- Repeat each day.
Avocado, Coconut Oil, & Honey Face Mask
- Follow the instructions in the plain avocado recipe for preparation of the avocado.
- Get a jar of coconut oil and a jar of raw organic honey.
- Add 1 tablespoon of honey to the bowl of avocado.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the bowl.
- Before adding the coconut oil, if it’s solid at room temperature first heat it gently in a pan until it melts.
- Mix the ingredient together completely.
- Apply to your face using your fingertips or a brush.
- Leave on your face for about 15-20 minutes before washing it off again.
- Use every day to see the best results.
Avocado, Turmeric, & Yogurt Face Mask
Turmeric has been used for centuries in South Asia as a natural beauty treatment.
The curcumin it contains has powerful antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. Making it a good natural remedy for acne.
Studies have also shown that it helps to reduce dark spots, lines, and wrinkles when applied topically.
This is a good avocado face mask for wrinkles and clear skin.
- Mash the avocado as in the plain avocado recipe above.
- Get some turmeric powder and a carton of plain Greek yogurt.
- Add 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder to the bowl of avocado.
- Add 1 tablespoon of yogurt to the bowl and mix using a fork.
- Apply the paste to your face.
- Leave it on for approximately 20 minutes.
- Wash it off again with warm water and dry with a clean towel.
- Use this 2-3 times per week for beautiful skin.
Side Effects And Precautions
Most people don’t have any problems when applying avocado to their skin.
But, before using avocado and the added ingredients listed above on your face, it’s a good idea to do a quick test.
Put a small amount on the back of your wrist to see how your skin reacts.
Leave the mixture for about 20 minutes and observe any reaction.
If you have a latex allergy then it’s possible you could be allergic to avocado.
Avocados are easy to combine with a wide range of natural skin care ingredients. Creating homemade face masks with powerful benefits for your skin when used regularly.
They moisturize, soothe, prevent and reverse skin aging. And can help with the treatment of skin conditions like acne.
Have you tried any homemade avocado face masks? Share your thoughts in the comments below.