Avocado and honey face masks bring together two of the most popular ingredients that are used for face masks.
They contain a wide range of nutrients, vitamins, and the ability to treat and heal skin conditions.
They are great for moisturizing the skin, provide the ability to kill harmful bacteria, and help your skin to look younger.
In this article I’ll show you some homemade recipes that you can use to help get a clear complexion, and explain the benefits that these powerful natural ingredients have for skin care.
Avocado and Honey Face Mask Benefits
Both avocado and honey have interesting properties for skin care that have made them the popular choice that they are today.
Let’s take a look at some of the ways that they help your skin:
Avocados are high in antioxidants, vitamins, and plant phytonutrients that are quickly absorbed into the skin and which provide a number of beneficial effects:
The fatty acid oleic acid is found in high quantity in avocados. This can penetrate the skin and creates a barrier that stops excess moisture from being lost.
There are a number of antioxidants in avocados including vitamins C, vitamin E, and carotenoids.
These help to protect the skin from free radical damage caused by exposure to the sun and pollutants in the environment (1).
By preventing the damage caused by ultraviolet light from the sun, the antioxidants in avocado help to prevent your skin from ageing, which means less wrinkles and lines.
Many people use avocado face masks for acne treatment.
The antioxidants that are present in avocado help to prevent the damage caused by ultraviolet light from the sun as explained above.
This is also important for preventing and treating acne as one of the most important stages in the formation of the acne infection is thought to be the damage that occurs to sebum in the skin’s pores after exposure to the sun’s rays (3).
Soothes Inflamed Skin
The plant phytosterols that avocado contains, like beta-sitosterol, have been demonstrated in scientific studies to be capable of reducing the inflammatory response (4).
This anti-inflammatory ability is useful for calming and soothing inflamed and itchy skin.
Honey is well known for its antioxidant, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties.
And this is why many people swear by using honey face masks for acne.
Scientific studies have shown that honey has antibacterial action against a range of bacteria on the skin (5).
This is thought to be because of the hydrogen peroxide content it has and an important protein called bee defensin-1 that’s added to the honey by the bees as they make it.
No clinical trials have been performed that look at the impact of honey on acne bacteria, but it’s likely that it has a significant effect against this bacteria as well.
Honey has also been shown to have powerful anti-inflammatory properties when applied to wounds on the skin (6).
Acne is an inflammatory condition, so the anti-inflammatory ability of honey could help to reduce and prevent the painful red swellings that are typical of an acne infection.
Honey contains a number of compounds that act as antioxidants including flavonoid, phenolic, and proline compounds (7).
By helping to protect your skin from oxidative damage caused by exposure to ultraviolet light this can slow the appearance of lines and wrinkles.
Honey is a humectant that helps your skin to retain moisture, giving it a fresh and healthy look.
Honey contains a number of organic acids, including gluconic acid. These make up approximately 1% of its composition.
When honey is left on the skin these acids give it a very mild exfoliation effect, removing dead cells from your skin’s surface and leaving a soft and smooth appearance when used regularly.
Avocado And Honey Face Mask Recipes
Here are some avocado and honey facial mask recipes that you can try:
Avocado And Honey Face Mask
Directions For Use:
1. Get an avocado and a jar of the best raw honey for face care.
2. Cut the avocado in half and remove the pit from the middle.
3. Use a knife or a spoon to scrape the avocado out of its skin and mash it in a bowl.
4. Add about 2 tablespoons of the raw organic honey to the ball.
5. Mix the ingredients together.
6. Use your hands to spread the mixture on your skin.
7. Leave the face mask on your skin for 15 to 20 minutes and then rinse off again.
8. Keep the access avocado and honey face mask mixture in the fridge to use again.
9. You can use this face mask everyday if you want.
Avocado Yoghurt Honey Face Mask
Directions For Use:
1. As well as the jar of raw organic honey and a fresh ripe avocado, also purchase a carton of fresh natural yogurt.
2. Slice the avocado in half and remove the pits and mash in a bowl.
3. Add 1 tablespoon of honey and 1 tablespoon of yogurt to the bowl and mix together.
4. Spread the mixture on your skin and leave it for 15 to 20 minutes before washing off again.
5. Use as often as you wish.
6. Keep the excess in the fridge.
Avocado Honey Lemon Face Mask
Lemon juice is a powerful antibacterial due to the citric acid it contains, and studies show that it kills the acne causing bacteria, P. acnes. It will also exfoliate dead skin from your face.
Care should be taken when using lemon in face masks as it contains furanocoumarins that can cause irritation and burns on the skin when exposed to the sun. You should always use a sunscreen in the days after using lemon on the skin, and if possible avoid the sun.
Directions For Use:
1. Purchase a ripe avocado, a jar of raw organic honey, and a fresh lemon.
2. Slice the avocado in half, remove the pit, and mash it in a small bowl.
3. Squeeze 1 teaspoon of juice out of the lemon and add it to the ball.
4. Take 1 tablespoon of the raw honey, add it to the bowl, and mix together.
5. Use your fingers to spread the face mask over your face.
6. Allow it to sit on your skin for approximately 15 to 20 minutes.
7. Wash your face clean with warm water.
8. Use no more than twice per week.
9. Keep any access in a container in the fridge.
Side-effects And Precautions
- Before using any of these face masks for the first time try a small amount on your wrist and leave it for about 20 minutes just to make sure your skin doesn't have a bad reaction to it.
- If you already know that you have a pollen allergy then you shouldn't use any honey products.
- It's not advised for women who are breastfeeding to use honey on their skin, nor should it be used on infants who are less than 12 months old (8).
- If you have a latex allergy then you should be careful about using avocado as it is possible you will be allergic to it (9).
Avocado and honey face masks have a number of proven benefits for the skin. This is the reason for their popularity in natural skin care.
They can help you to treat acne, prevent skin ageing, and can moisturize and soothe dry or inflamed skin.
It’s also easy to combine them with other natural ingredients with beneficial operatives for the skin.
Have you tried any avocado and honey fac emasks? Let us know about your experiences in the comments section below.